Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tagged...and thinking about the bucket list

Jenn at Just Add Water, Silly has tagged me to answer a few questions. It seemed like a simple task, which is my limit these days. Even so, one item brought me up short and made me realize that my lifelong goals are not still something "out there." Read on, and you'll come to that.

4 Things in My Purse:
* Instructions for the new booster seat we’ll use when I drive my grandson to preschool starting this week
* Unused coupons and gift cards for coffee, bread, and two lunches
* Giant collection of keys (soon to diminish when I surrender my 7 work-related keys)
* An iPod Touch that I rarely use—and I’m not sure why

4 Things in My Desk (at Home):
* A silver “Peace in Guatemala” medallion from the Rigoberta Menchu Foundation
* A wonderfully tiny digital voice recorder
* Photo paper in various sizes
* An unused package of hand-held fireworks (sparklers)

4 Favorite Things in My Bedroom:
* Sleek and sturdy oak furniture I bought long ago and still love
* Counted cross-stitch wall hangings made by Peter’s sister and mother—I used to read them to Augie and discovered that he soon learned them by heart
* A dream-catcher
* A sweet taupe pitcher that was my first pottery purchase

4 Things I Enjoy Very Much at the Moment:
* Simplifying—recycling or tossing accumulated papers, clothes, and junk collectibles to reclaim space
* Playing “drum concerts” with the kids
* Hiring someone to help with the cleaning
* Blogging

4 Songs I Can't Get Out of My Head:
* “At Last”…the version by Eva Cassidy, who sang like an angel and died much too young
* A couple of Dr. John’s blues piano riffs…I hear them in my head and find myself playing air piano
* “I Want to Be Your Personal Penguin” by Sandra Boynton…just one of her many great kids’ songs
* “Little Red Rooster,” an old Willie Dixon tune recorded live by the Rolling Stones with Eric Clapton—they should have stayed a blues band!

4 Things I Always Wanted to Do (but Haven't Yet):
* Learn to paint acrylics and/or water colors (which is why I was drawn to Jenn’s site)
* Win the Powerball lottery

Seriously, I don't have much of a "bucket list." Of the things I "always wanted to do," apparently (a) I’ve done it or (b) it’s no longer important to me. I just want to live the life I've built for myself (with the help of others), and that doesn't require big travels or achievements or ... Okay, I just remembered I've always thought about a hot-air balloon ride, but I'm not sure it's in the "want to do" category. Still, I'm sure I'll be remaking that list over the next months and years (I hope!) as I move into retirement. And finally,

4 Things You Don't Know About Me:
* My sleep number is 45.
* I have no tattoos, but if I had the nerve I’d get my eyelids lined to save time and avoid smudged eye makeup. I do NOT have the nerve.
* My favorite candle scents are cinnamon, vanilla, and a wonderful cranberry-orange holiday blend.
* I am fascinated by the information we put out there about ourselves, on the chance that someone will enjoy reading it. I think it’s a new way of bonding…not better or worse than in-person, just different.

So how about you? I’m supposed to tag four people, but not everybody enjoys memes, so let’s open it up instead. Answer these questions, and if you let me know I’ll link to you.

P.S. Having mentioned Jenn, I want to show you the lovely handmade scarf and bookmark (complete with jewels) she sent me when I won her giveaway celebrating her 150th follower. As I told her, I’d been using a receipt for a bookmark; this is much classier. And the scarf will be great with my winter coat when the Minnesota winds get blowing!

21 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

1. I am with you on the fear and desire for tattooed eyeliner.
2. I think it is GREAT that your bucket list is so short. That means you have lived your life doing what you want.
3. Your sleep number cracked me up. I have never seen that shared on a blog before.
4. That pitcher is lovely.

Jeanie said...

I'm with you on the tattooed eye-liner....it sounds like a good idea, but it is a little scary.
I love that your "want to do list" is still in the making. I feel the same way...we never know what opportunities will present themselves to us.

DJan said...

Wow, that's interesting. I don't have much of a bucket list, either. These are very fascinating factoids about you, so I'm glad you answered these questions for me to ponder...

Lisa @ Grandma's Briefs said...

I'm so with you on the comment about "the information we put out there." It's such a fine line between sharing and TMI and I'm continually surprised that people are interested in anything I say online (in person, too, sometimes!). But I loved learning new things I have in common with you, like wanting to win Powerball and the favorite candle scents. (Eyeliner tattoo is something I've never considered ... tattoo lip color would be cool, though, for the tough and daring!)

Elizabeth said...

Great answers...I try to put it out there but then I reel it back in. Our journey has been so complicated and confussing. Love you bookmark remark...right now I have been using a $1 bill. Friday during my grandma day, the 4 yr old grandson, pulled it out and asked if he could have it. So much for marking my page. Oh, and no he did not get it...told him it was saving my place and found where it belonged, and he comes back with I save mine in my piggy bank...how cute was that!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I've always wanted to win the lottery too.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I like your comment about online bonding and think it's true. The connections we make, however we make them, have value.

I haven't heard Eva's version of "At Last," but it remains one of my top five faves of all time.

I'm not good at answering questions, but I am so glad you did and gave us a chance to see more aspects of your self and your life. Thank you!

Emma said...

I would LOVE to hire someone to help with the cleaning. Worth every cent, in my opinion!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh what delightful lists..although your music must be a Southern Minnesota thing..as I have never heard of any of them..but perhaps I am a music snob and only hear Rock and Roll songs repeating in my mind..:)

Grandmother Mary said...

Blessings on your grandson as he starts preschool! And when did Eva Cassidy die? I love her singing and didn't know and feel so sad. (One downside living out of the country.)

Linda Hoye said...

Hi Nancy, I just found your blog and feel like I arrived at home! I love that you are taking care of your grands and that they have inspired you to make changes in your life. I have two precious grandchildren, and they too inspire me daily.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy and thank you for commenting on my blog on my BON day! I love the fact that you look after your grandchildren. I have my first arriving next month and want to do my fair share of babysitting. I have a second arriving next March so like everything in my life, it all happens at once. I can't wait.
Debbie

grammy said...

That was a lot of things to list. loved reading all of them and then thinking of my own. I want some one to clean and cook for me ( :
Right now my life is so full of kids... it is hard to think of other things... but the youngest is three... and time is flying by... so I will just savor those things...tomorrow we are going to go crawdad fishing

Jeanie said...

Wow -- I've only recently started reading you, so this post has taught me a lot!

I'm going to copy this one for "someday." One of those days when I don't have a clue of an idea for a blog post. It's one of those memes that really has something more to it than some!

Unknown said...

Take that balloon ride and enjoy! I have a dream-catcher too. ;)

Cheers!
Julie
Julie Magers Soulen Photography

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Anonymous said...

Servicing your air conditioner repeatedly will preserve your power fees down. The better your air conditioning unit is running, the less resources it will use, thus, saving you moeny on vitality bills. It really is also wise to preserve your unit routinely as opposed to pay massive repair fees when it finally breaks down. A service call is much cheaper than a replace the unit call. [url=http://www.acrepairexpert.com] air conditioner repair phoenix[/url]

California Girl said...

Tatoos?! That would be fascinating. I don't have any either. Never even thought of it. Yuck.

Kitty Moore said...

Erm...what is a 'sleep' number? x

Gabriele Agustini said...

I feel as though I've known you for years now! Ha!

I knew a waitress who had eyebrows tattooed,
because she would rub off her eyebrow pencil as she worked.
They looked very strange.

Allyson said...

Can I just say, from one iPod Touch owner to another, that the Touch is where it's at and I'm not sure why you aren't addicted to yours? I have been spreading the Touch love for a year now and my mother has since purchased one, as has her partner. Yep...start using it and you'll never look back. ;)
And my bucket list is loooong. But I think it's supposed to be at the ripe age of 32. Congrats to you for living your bucket list, even when you didn't know it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails