Friday, May 7, 2010

May 8, 1985: The Lunch Date

Previously in our series…
On April 15, 1985, my designer and I went to our typesetting vendor’s plant to complain about a messed-up, overbilled job. Their new man said if we gave him a chance to do the next issue right, we wouldn’t regret it.


The new typesetter, whose name was Peter, came to my office for two meetings. With my staff, we talked about new procedures we would use to (1) type our stories on the computer and add codes for headlines, bold, italic, etc., (2) send the files to the typesetter by modem, and (3) get back proofs on paper, which we’d mark for corrections in the usual manner. There shouldn’t be many corrections, we agreed, because they were capturing our files rather than re-keyboarding everything. We talked about how much quicker and easier it was going to be to get material ready for our magazine.

I enjoyed these meetings. I thought it was because the process was so cutting-edge and fascinating. My staff was pleased enough with the new procedure, but confused about why I was so animated and chatty.

As the second meeting ended, Peter waited while my staff left. “We don’t have any reason to meet here again,” he said, “but I’d like to call you for lunch….I mean, personal.”

Oof. I was totally unprepared. I don’t date, I thought. I don’t have time for that. But by the time he calls I can think up an excuse. “Okay,” I said.

He called about 20 minutes later. “How about May 8?” Crap, I didn’t think I’d need that excuse so soon. “Okay,” I said.

On May 8 Peter picked me up at my office and we went down the street to Ciatti’s Italian restaurant. We talked a lot about our families—he was the youngest of six, I was the oldest of six. As he talked about his father, who died when Peter was 14, he got a little catch in his voice and teared up a little. Smooth, I thought. He’s doing a Nancy Reagan to show his sensitive side. Am I a bad person for doubting his sincerity?

The tab came with a couple of chocolate mints. He passed his to me, saying he didn’t like mint and chocolate in combination. “Oh, I love it,” I said. “Every time I get to Chicago I go to Marshall Field to buy Frango mints.”

“I’m going to Chicago next week for a conference,” he said. “Maybe we can get together for dinner after I get back.”

"Okay," I said. And this time I wasn't thinking about making an excuse.

Update: For the record, apparently May 8 was the day he asked me out, and May 16 was our actual first lunch date. I was relying on memory; he found his 1985 calendar!

16 comments:

Pearl said...

Unexpected sweetness.

As good as Frango's.

Pearl

DJan said...

So, do I take it that this guy Peter ends up being... hubby? Yes? It sounds like perfect way to meet. And he already know he can get you chocolate mints anytime. Nice story from 25 years ago.

Jeanie said...

A very sweet story with, I am expecting, a very happy ending.

Cheryl said...

I lovin' that you're continuing this story. Can't wait for the next time there's an anniverary of something equally fun.

Abby said...

When does the awesomely cute, funny, and precocious daughter enter the story?!? I'm on tenterhooks! =) hehehe

JenJen said...

Very sweet...makes me smile!

FranticMommy said...

hey fellow Minnesotan! thanks for popping by my blog on my BON day! Can't wait to read more of your blog!

Everyday Kathy said...

YAY!! Love this. Remembering these details really is a delightful way to celebrate your love! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Ahhh.... sweet, sweet romance! Complete with more Frango mints for you! Love it!

WhiteSockGirl aka The Fabulous Bitch said...

Ok, how can you do that? You are not suppose to keep us hanging... More more more!!

This reads so beautiful, and I can't wait to lay my hungry eye balls on more...

sm said...

sweet story

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Blissed-Out! I love these tales, more please! Indigo

Indigo Roth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love this novella!

Happy Mother's Day!

Far Side of Fifty said...

And then?? Did he or didn't he..bring you back some Chicago Chocolate Mints..I can't wait to hear more. Twenty minutes..he really was a fast mover wasn't he! Happy Mothers Day:)

Unknown said...

Awww. This is lovely! I'll be back for more ;-)
Hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day!
xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails