Thursday, March 25, 2010

But do they wear pantyhose?

Things I learned this week:

(1) Apparently if you're a three-year-old boy (a state that can last much longer than a single year, I'm told) the word "pantyhose" is hysterically funny. It sets off paroxysms of laughter (you remember that word from a vocab list, right?). And about the time you are all done laughing, if Grandma says it again, you'll laugh again. And again.

(2) It's easy to tell boys from girls. Woodpeckers, both male and female, have been visiting our bird feeders. The bird book explained that males have red spots on the backs of their heads, and females don't. Meanwhile, Mommy and Daddy have talked with Augie and Vi about male and female body parts; they know that boys have penises and girls have vaginas. Today at Wild Rumpus Daycare we had this conversation:

Pa: Is Augie a boy?

Augie: Yes.

Pa: Who else is a boy?

Augie: My friend Dad, and Pa.

Pa: Is ViMae a boy?

Augie (laughing): No, she's a girl.

Pa: Are Mommy and Grandma boys?

Augie (laughing again): No, they're girls.

Pa: How can you tell?

Augie: Because they don't have red spots on the back of their heads.

18 comments:

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Blissed-Out! Well, that's how I always tell. Checking gets me into trouble sometimes. Indigo

The Good Cook said...

Life is so simple when you are three!

DJan said...

Adorable! Conversations with toddlers always gives a laugh or two. And to think about how their minds work is nothing short of miraculous.

Ms Sparrow said...

I love how you interact with your grandkids. It stimulates their little minds in surprising ways!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds good to me..he is pretty smart for a three year old! My girls used to blush when I said vagina or penis right out loud..they got over it..many in our society need to get over it and call male and female body parts by their correct name...so kudos to you and your kids raising kids right! :)

Pearl said...

That made me smile. Oh to be three again -- and be talking to Grandma!

Pearl

Daughter Number Three said...

This reminds me of a story from my daughter's preschool days. They had been learning about anatomy, and her friend Robert was asked how you can tell a boy from a girl. He said, in all seriousness, "Boys have a penis and girls have an agenda."

MrsBlogAlot said...

HAAAA!! Of course!! How sweet!

HanShinta said...

Hahahhaa..Too cute!! and FUNNY! Thanks for the laugh so early in the morning (It's 5.34 here in the Faroe Islands). =P

Visiting from Best posts. Please visit mine also =)

LadyFi said...

Too funny!

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Makes sense to me!

Anonymous said...

You got out of that one with a meaningful comment. LOL

Brenda said...

Pantyhose is kind of a funny word, especially if you have never heard it before!

Cute conversation, I love the way kids think.

Visiting from BPOTW

betty-NZ said...

Don't you just love how their minds work!!

KaLynn ("MiMi") said...

Love it! Love it! Love it!! Thanks for the Kackle today!!

FranE said...

I love it and your grandson too. What a hoot.

Cheryl said...

At least he was paying attention!

By the way, I love your new header.

Gombojav Tribe said...

My three year old once told me that the difference between boys and girls were their eyebrows.

Aha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails