Thursday, April 25, 2013

Turning point

Spring is coming, and it took another late-April snow storm to make me believe it.

On Tuesday, for the second time in a week and third time this month, we woke up to a snow-covered landscape. Unlike previous gloomy grey snowy days, this time the sun came up and transformed everything into a breathtakingly brilliant Winter Wonderland. 

I grabbed a camera, but we had some errands to run. By the time we were in Como Park, I looked through the lens and saw...melting. The trees and shrubs were rapidly losing their lacy outlines. As we got home, the tree shown here was shedding little clumps of snow that plop-plop-plopped as they hit the ground. Several plopped onto my head, and as they trickled down my forehead I somehow knew that winter was saying goodbye.

Yesterday we made it into the 50s. They tell us it will be in the 70s this weekend. And in our backyard, a small clump of tulips has just broken through the surface of the ground.

Spring is on the way!

9 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

encouraging words... :))

Chantel said...

I love the phrase "turning point." It embodies such hope and promise, don't you think? A new chapter....

Green Monkey said...

there is a patch of land, on a hillside along the main road that bursts with crocus's at the start of spring - and when it does, it's all that everyone in town talks about.

I'm waiting for the orioles to start building their nests in the giant water birch tree just outside of our deck.

I LOVE SPRING!!!

Grandmother Mary said...

Here's to clumps of tulips breaking through!

Jeanie said...

That is the way it has been happening here....we had 8-10 inches of snow overnight Monday into Tuesday and it was mostly all gone by Wednesday. It is supposed to be in the 70s this weekend.
Hope "springs" eternal.

stephen Hayes said...

Like most people I'm ready for Spring weather.

Jeanie said...

I swear our world and weather is schizophrenic -- ours included snow, too -- but not that much. Please, spring. It is almost May!

DJan said...

Wonderful! I love that picture of the contrast of the snow and the sky. Happy spring! :-)

Ms Sparrow said...

Woohoo for tulips!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails