Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Being thankful

As I write this, a half-dozen men are ripping up our front yard, removing the turf and attempting to level out the damp clay-based soil.

Theoretically, someone will deliver sod and someone--these men or others--will install it before the end of the day, though it's already mid-afternoon. All of this was to be done weeks ago, but then the rains came, for days on end, and the people at Rainbow Lawn Care said the sod farm told them it was too wet to cut the sod. So the schedule would change, and we'd say okay, and then it would rain again.

One last day-lily
The complication now is cold weather. If the sod doesn't get installed today, the ground may freeze. Even if it does, we have to water it for a week or more, and with our cold nights our hoses may freeze. And you know what? It's out of my control. It will happen or it won't. The guys are working hard, it's still daylight, it might all come together. If not, it will happen another day, maybe in the spring.

And for that I am thankful! Our lawn looked sort of okay (the crew needed reassurance that indeed we did want the current stuff torn up). But the whole thing was very bumpy. It was increasingly difficult to maneuver a lawn mower around without it nosing down into a crevice or hanging itself up on a bump. And the creeping Charlie and other nasty stuff had taken over. Rather than apply a lot of weed killer, we decided to start over.

The last rose of autumn
We've lived in this house 25 years. We did a lot of yard work when we first moved in, and then gradually for another 10 or 15 years. Lately, we've been coasting. And when we looked around, we saw that trees needed to be trimmed (done), the lawn needed a makeover (underway), and we'd really like a new garage and a back porch (planning underway for both).

We see it as an investment in our own happiness, our own well-being. The fact that we're able to do this gives me a new reason to be grateful this Thanksgiving. We are fortunate indeed.

For what are you giving thanks this year?

Update 1: 8 a.m. on Thanksgiving, 30 degrees F, windy, and snowing, and the crew arrives with sod, which they install by 10. They worked well past dark last night, leaving about 7 p.m . 

Update 2: I should add that having the yard done is just icing on the cake; I'm truly thankful for my family above all. 
 

16 comments:

J said...

Those projects always end up taking more time than originally thought. I've had my own share! But when it's done, it's DONE! And you can sit there and congratulate yourself for knocking another item off your list!
I'm just thankful this year - for everything!
Happy Thanksgiving, Nancy!

joeh said...

None of those projects probably make financial sense. This is what I like about getting older, I worry less about making financial sense and more about being able to enjoy nicer stuff!

stephen Hayes said...

I bet it feels rewarding getting your yard into shape again. I hope you and your family have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like quite a project. Hope you can haul the hose in each night to a warm (non freezing) area.
I am thankful for many things most of all my husband, children, grands and a good dog:)

DJan said...

I too hope this works out for you. It sounds like it will. I am grateful for my health, family, partner, and my friends across the blogosphere and right here at home. :-)

Unknown said...

I bet your yard will be beautiful next year and your attitude is the best! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Linda Myers said...

I'm already thinking about the improvements I want to make to our little place in Arizona, where we go next Friday. I started telling husband Art about it, and he said, "Spend, spend, spend". But he'll like it all when it's done.

Ms Sparrow said...

Bless your doomed little last rose of autumn!

Sally Wessely said...

You have really undertaken a major project with the sod. I know what you mean about getting projects pushed back because of event and conditions out of your control.

Thanks for the updates. I bet you were grateful you hired a crew with such commitment. That doesn't always happen.

Now you can get on with the next projects. When you own a house, it seems there is always something to be done.

troutbirder said...

I hope the warm weather turn the tide and the new grass is growing safely. :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Hope that lawn continues to thrive. I didn't realize they could lay sod so late in the winter.

Green Monkey said...

Monkey Me checking in on you, and yes, the yard. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Nancy, Just stopping by to say Merry Christmas! :)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Happy New Year! I hope the sod makes it through the cold, and maybe your hose won't freeze up! I bet it looks fantastic..we have so many projects here that I don't know which one to start with!

Deb Shucka said...

I hope your sod is surviving! This post radiates gratitude and contentment. Lovely to read.

Anita said...

Time for a sod update! :)

Happy New Year to you and your family who, as you did, are the ones to be most thankful for.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails