Sunday, August 17, 2014

I'm back, and starting year six of blogging

Five years ago today, I wrote my first blog post and sent it into the universe. I'd forgotten until my friend Jayne wrote about her own fifth blogiversary.

Not surprisingly, my first post was about my grandkids. Augie was 29 months and Vi 14 months. We'd gone to a Saints game on a Sunday afternoon and they'd run the bases after the game. There were no comments. I had done nothing to promote my blog, or even to let anyone know of its existence. I only planned to record memories, or maybe to share them with family members.

But then I was curious to see what other people were doing, and soon I was following and commenting on lots of blogs--photography, humor, parenting, grandparenting, daily life of all sorts. Some of those people followed me in return, and commented on what I wrote. Before long I was writing not only about adorable grandkids but about my own ideas and experiences. Having spent a career writing in an institutional voice, I enjoyed exploring my own thoughts and writing in my own voice. And I have loved making new online friends.

For the past eight or nine months I've been writing in "our" voice, a book jointly authored with my husband Peter. It's the 100-year history of a wonderful carousel, including the 26 years we've spent rescuing it from being broken apart and then restoring it and operating it for the public. While I was immersed in the book, I couldn't feed the blog. When the book came out in July, we plunged into full-time event planning and media interviews for the carousel's 100th birthday. At the end of each of those days, we'd fall into a daze in front of the TV.

Our giant birthday party August 9 drew about 1,500 people, and we spent the entire day talking with guests including current and former volunteers, staff, board members, avid riders, and people who bought our book and asked us to sign it. Have I mentioned that both of us are strong introverts? We loved every conversation, but by the end of that 11-hour day we were nearly comatose. I spent the next three days sleeping. 

And that is why, when my life really was full and I should have had a lot to share on my blog, I couldn't do it.

I'm becoming functional again. I've managed to balance my checkbook, clean off part of my desk, get to tap class for the first time in a month, mow the lawn, and seriously weed the garden for the first time all summer. And now I've managed to produce a new blog post. It's not fancy, but it's a start. The first post of my sixth year in blogging.

When I was working I focused on work and deadlines, and too often I forgot to feed my personal growth, relationships, etc. Having those work habits helped us finish all the tasks we needed to complete in time for last week's celebration activities. But both Peter and I are making it a priority to get back to being ourselves. For me, that includes blogging. 

21 comments:

DJan said...

Welcome back, friend! I see you have commented on my Sunday post, and I see now that you are back in the blogosphere. I love your posts and I often think of you tap dancing your way through life, with a beautiful Carousel horse prancing beside you. :-)

Pauline Persing said...

Glad to hear the Carousel project went well. Glad to hear you are back to blogging.

Teresa Evangeline said...

So glad you're still planning to blog ... good to see you again ... :)

troutbirder said...

Good news indeed. Welcome back. I distinctly remember when I first ran across and followed your blog it was because of the carousel and my childhood connection to it, St. Paul and its later appearance at Como. Childhood memories and beyond

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your plate was full! I am certain that you have made such a difference to so many people rescuing the carousel...I was very impressed with the video on facebook. You two do quite well for introverts:)
I am glad you are back to blogging and congrats on a great six years:)

Linda Myers said...

Glad you're back. Congrats on your carousel!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad that all your summer endeavors went so well. You have a lot to be proud of. Congratulations on reaching your 6th year of blogging.

Meryl Baer said...

Good to hear from you again. And congratulations on completing your successful carousel project.

Linda Hoye said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!

stephen Hayes said...

Glad your carousel unveiling was such a success. And I'm glad you're back to blogging. You've been missed.

Ms Sparrow said...

May the next five years be as productive and fun as the previous!

Unknown said...

Happy Blogiversary! It is nice to have you back!

Jayne Martin said...

Happy Blogoversary, my friend. I knew about the carousel, but not that you'd written a book. I love carousels. Send me a link to the book. Big hugs!!!

Sally Wessely said...

It is good to see you back with us again. I too have been busy doing things other than blogging. I have missed it. As the season begins to change outside, I find that I wish to spend a bit more time with my friends from my world of blogging.

Daughter Number Three said...

Welcome back, and it was nice to meet you in person at the big event!

Grandmother Mary said...

Sounds like you've done some important work but I'm glad to have you back!

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Nancy! The start of year six? We must have started about the same time. I've loved your posts, and look forward to this year's gems x Indigo

Jeanie said...

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you here and hope you visit soon! Life DOES get in the way of blogging (I am VERY far behind in my commenting and responding to comments, as you can see.) But it's the life that matters! Yours has been full and I look forward to getting bits and pieces now that you are back!

Allyson said...

I can't believe it's been 6 years! I think I'm in my 5th year and, like you, life has demanded more of me than I necessarily wanted to give at times and a lot of things got pushed to the side. First and foremost, the blog. Which is hard because that IS when you have so much to share and just no time. Welcome back! And I would like to know how I go about getting a copy of that book! Every time we ride the carousel at our zoo, I think of y'all. And when we stopped at this hole-in-the-wall town in Ohio on our way back from NYC in May and stumbled upon the MOST beautiful carousel restored and in a park, I thought of you again. I can't believe the grandkids are in school! Blue started Montessori preschool this month and so I'm back now, too. I'm looking forward to what the year brings to both of us. ;)

Nanette Stearns said...

You've had a busy summer! The carousel party was lovely and you have a lot to be proud of. Enjoy whatever the next season brings!

Marie Loerzel said...

There is something so fun about being creative and seeing something through and then there is something entirely comforting about getting back into routine. It's all about balance.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails