Friday, July 25, 2014

Toiling in the garden of Life...

I would love to be sitting in the garden, sipping tea and admiring the flowers of summer. Good thing I can see most of them from the window next to my computer! Let's just pretend we're sitting there, you and I, having a leisurely conversation.

Our book is finished, but we immediately went into overdrive getting ready for the carousel's 100th birthday events. For those who don't know, my husband and I founded a nonprofit organization 26 years ago and rescued a beloved 74-year-old carousel that was going to be broken up and auctioned to collectors. We led the fund-raising efforts and then we restored the carousel and moved it to a new location. Now we operate it with a volunteer crew in a new pavilion in St. Paul's Como Park.

There's a lovely event tomorrow for which I'm posting a composite I created in Photoshop. Then there's a big public birthday party August 9, for which a whole lot of details need to be coordinated. Media promotion is taking a lot of our time, though I'm not complaining, because the carousel needs the exposure and this is a big chance to generate some.

Peter and I work well together, but for 26 years we've had long periods of time when all our energy has to be applied to some aspect of saving or restoring or operating the carousel. We have promised ourselves that this is our last really big project. Having decided that, we can get through the next couple of weeks. Then we begin the process of handing over the reins, so to speak.

I'll be back to blog again. I especially want to talk about the book. But I have to get it into the places where the we plan to make it available; it's only at the carousel right now.

Hope you are having a great summer! Wish me luck as I take on some public speaking and TV interviews (eeek) and as we plan an outdoor event not knowing what the weather gods may bring. Next summer I really do want to sit and chat with you!

--Nancy aka BLissed-Out Grandma

(Like us on facebook.com/cafcarousel to see pictures and coverage and coming events.)


18 comments:

MissDazey said...

I liked your page on Facebook. I am Linda Crim there.

I so admire what y'all have done. I hope the book will be for sale online. Can one buy the CD online?

Meryl Baer said...

What a wonderful gift of your time and skills to the carousel. You are smart to turn the reins over and spend some time enjoying new-found time and the carousel without worrying about the particulars.

stephen Hayes said...

I can only imagine how exhausting all this work with the carousel has been but what a worthwhile project. You'll be making kids laugh and smile for generations to come. Adults too.

DJan said...

Just went over to Facebook to like your page. It's always risky for me to open FB since it's such a time sink. I do love your page but look forward to seeing more of you around the blogosphere. :-)

Jeanie said...

Your Facebook page shows the success of all your work. Good luck will all you have ahead...you will do great.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'd love to see your facebook page, but I closed my account about two months ago. I can't imagine how much work you had to put into restoring the carousel, but congratulations for the effort- I think it is a wonderful project.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad to see you posting again. I've missed your posts and your visits but I knew you had been very busy with the carousel! Can't wait to hear more about it! Welcome back and best of luck in your upcoming appearances. You'll be terrific -- I have no doubt!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I'm going to hold you to that ... :)))

Unknown said...

That carousel and everything you and your husband have done is just amazing! Those horse really are just exquisite. What a wonderful gift you have given to everyone in the community. If I ever get that way I want to take a ride.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear from you! I have been imagining you busy at the computer...awesome poster! You will do just fine in the interviews...just smile. We get WCCO news now so I will watch for you! I hope it is a great birthday party!!! I would love to visit but I am certain the crowds will be awful...which is good for you!
I hope you get time for a bit of a vacation after all the hoopla is over:)

Nanette Stearns said...

Looking forward to all the Carousel anniversary events! And to seeing you and Peter on the local media!

troutbirder said...

Nancy... and may all your wishes come true. I think I remember the carousel from the state fair and my wife and her friend rode on it when it was first at Como. We talked about revisiting the zoo just recently and now I have all the more motivation to make it happen. Thanks so much for all you've done.
Ray Potthoff (Troutbirder)

Grandmother Mary said...

Hooray and congrats on the book. Remember re: speaking that you know more about the topic than your audience and they're interested in what you know. Exciting stuff!

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Nancy! The carousel is a huge achievement; future generations will thank you =) Indigo x

Ms Sparrow said...

Thank you for all your devotion to this project. Because of you, my three great-granddaughters were able to enjoy that special carousel that I rode as a child!

Daughter Number Three said...

The weather's looking good for Saturday. Yay! I think I will bike over for the party. Thanks for all of your work on the carousel. It is such a treasure.

Deb Shucka said...

What a grand adventure this is. I love reading the stories of your life - the dancing is so cool! - and knowing that life can be full and fun and joy-filled at any stage.

Sally Wessely said...

Your life has been so busy and full of great things. My summer has been that way too. I've just not had time to do much blogging. I miss our exchanges. I hope to see you back soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails