Monday, April 19, 2010

How not to be a "noreply" person

I love getting and responding to comments. I use email--you leave a comment on one of my posts, it shows up in my inbox, I hit "reply" and talk back to you. We may even have a little conversation that goes back and forth a few times.

Sometimes I hit "reply" and instead of an email address I see "noreply." I'm always a little disappointed, and I know I'm not the only one. In fact I learned about this from other bloggers who were complaining about the "noreply" people. Oops, I was one of them.

So how do you get comments on your comments? Just make an email address public in your Blogger profile. Set up a separate email account just for blogging if you want to protect your privacy. To link it to your profile:

* Sign into your Blogger account and click on "Customize" at the upper right corner of the screen.
* Click on "Dashboard," and then on "Edit Profile."
* Click on "Show my email address."
* Scroll down and click "Save Profile."

You're done.

If you'd like to receive comments by email, here's how to set that up:

* On the "Dashboard" or the "Layouts" page, click on "Settings" and then "Comments."
* Scroll down to "Comment Notification Email" and fill in your email address.
* Click "Save Settings."

If you haven't been doing this, I think you'll be surprised at how much more interactive blogging can become.

20 comments:

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Blissed Out! Okay, I've done it. But if I get spam now... Indigo

Cheryl said...

I just added a note to my Comments section asking folks to please link up to their addresses too. I loved Holly's blogiquette piece because I learned so much.

The Good Cook said...

Blissed - I'm with you - I love to reply back to my commenters - as you already know. This is a great little "how-to" post.

Jeanie said...

I learned this from a fellow blogger quite a while back. Thanks for your effort to get more people on board.

DJan said...

I also get comments in my emailbox, and I have most of them now in my address book. "Noreply" is fairly common, but I have been putting my email out here for a year now and I still don't get spam (you watch, now I will!). You're right, it's so much fun to reply privately if I feel like it!

JenJen said...

Smart Post! I get disappointed too.

Jenny said...

Great post! I hope everybody in blogland reads this!

Everyday Kathy said...

Yay! I've been bugged by this but there you go and do something about it!! Thanks!!

Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

Leah Rubin said...

You're so right! You've said it so well, and it makes a difference when we can write back and forth, doesn't it?

Carry on!

@eloh said...

I've been playing with a new blog... and I can't get the picture to load... I'm just one of those shadow people in the back...
I still haven't found my camera disc so I'll keep fideling.

Ms Sparrow said...

Wow! Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I know, I hate when people have the No Reply e-mail address. I can't tell you how often I've written a response, sent it and raelized d'oh, it's no reply.

Anita said...

It took me awhile to set up an email address for my readers to respond. Actually, it was intentional because I was leary about getting personal notes. Maybe I thought someone would stalk me or something...just kidding. And, I thought people would reply on the post - and some do - like having a conversation for all to see.
But, now that I've done it, I'm always happy to receive a note, and happy to be able to send one to others who have an email address set up.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, just came by to say hello.

Kat said...

Thanks for the no reply lesson. I will go and check out my settings. I am pretty much challenged when it comes to these things.

UberGrumpy said...

But what if my name actually is noreply?

It isn't, obviously, I'm just being picky

Rachel Cotterill said...

I only found out about this relatively recently (a couple of months ago), and you're right, it makes blogging much more interactive :)

gayle said...

Great advice! Did it a long time ago!!

betty-NZ said...

Great post! I have been disappointed, too, when I can't reply to comments!

Cheryl said...

I have had my email linked to my blog since I started it. I just got a message from someone that it doesn't work. If you have a minute could you please reply to this comment to see if you get no reply?

Thanks,

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails