Friday, June 12, 2015

Stepping things up

Some days I get a reasonable amount of what I'll call exercise from my regular activities--gardening, mowing the lawn, tap dancing, whatever. Other days I sleep late, sit at the computer, read, watch television.

A couple of weeks ago I decided (again) that I need to be more deliberate about being active. Of course, I've known that forever and haven't changed my habits. So I bought a Fitbit to motivate and remind me. I bought a Charge HR, the model that tracks steps, heart rate, sleep, and stairs.

I began by letting it record my daily activities without making any special effort to step things up. In fact, the first day I wore it, I was so inactive that it thought I was sleeping all day. Then I had a few active days--walking through airports, volunteering at my dance studio's recital dress rehearsal, and the like--and without making any special effort I was logging 4-5,000 steps.

Yesterday was cold and rainy. I slept until noon, read all afternoon, and watched television in the evening. At dinner time I'd taken only 472 steps. Today, having walked to a nearby restaurant for dinner, I'm at 2,700. Now that I have a sense of what comes naturally, it's time to set specific daily goals. Most walking programs set a goal of 10,000 steps. I'm going to start somewhere lower than that and work up.

One step at a time.


16 comments:

joeh said...

That is a lot of steps...go for it!

Linda Myers said...

I'm going to buy one of these. I keep losing or breaking pedometers.

DJan said...

Hubby is doing the same thing with the Apple built-in app, noticing how many steps it all takes to get to 10,000. Our lives have definitely changed when this is what we ate learning about, isn't it? Yay for you! :-)

DJan said...

That should be "are" learning about :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

We both have Fitbit Flex...we got them about a month ago. It keeps us focused and if I need to make a few trips around the circle in the living area I do. Chance thinks I am nuts. Gene walks further than I do...I try for 1 and 1/2 miles a day. He tries for 2 to 3 miles...2 miles makes me really sore eventually I may get there one step at a time. I am a much better sleeper than I thought...but it also tracks my sleep walking...I took 43 steps one night...not sure where I went. keep moving!! :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Yay! I've got a Fit Bit. Funny how sometimes it gets me moving when I realize I've awakened and then sat in bed for four hours reading. I put it on my right hand because I"m left handed. But, I chop vegetables with my right hand. When making a salad or chopping carrots, potatoes, whatever, I get credit for steps. I try not to feel guilty about that. Ha!

Good luck with your movement. I'd love to hear how many steps you get in a tap dancing class.

Jeanie said...

I've been thinking about getting a fitbit, too. I'd be curious to see how it tracks spinning and I wonder -- can you wear it in the water? Probably not, but it would be interesting for swimming. Hmmm.... Well, all I can really say is good for you with a conscious effort -- and a smart way of starting your fitbit plan!

stephen Hayes said...

I gave one of these devices to Mrs. C. for Christmas--she requested one. On our recent trip she was excited to reach 14,000 steps, but they've decreased dramatically since our return.

Unknown said...

I wear the little Fitbit Zip on my shoe and have found it to be so motivating! When I first started with it I was really using it just to monitor what I was doing but back in January another Fitbit friend got me really started moving and I LOVE IT!!! Last month I raised my daily goal from 10,000 to 12,000 and I'm doing it! Good Luck! I think you will find it really does help!

Sally Wessely said...

I don't have a fitbit, but I've thought of getting one. I do have an iPhone and it tells me how many steps I've taken if I have it on me. Like you, some days I've not stepped out much! I am always a bit shocked at how little I move on those days. Today, I did a Zumba Gold class and I went for a long walk. Because I didn't have the phone "on" me in the Zumba class, I won't have those steps recorded. I am just trying to move. I'm not setting any goals right now either.

Nanette Stearns said...

I have a charge HR too and it's interesting to see how many - or how few - steps I take in a day. Also interesting to see my heart rate go up when I'm stressed! I rarely hit the 10,000 per day but it's fun to try.

Kate said...

I admire your motivation!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I've been looking at them, but would like to know more about them before I buy. Right now I use a step counter, and just aim for 12000 a day I'm curious how well they monitor your sleep patterns.

troutbirder said...

For me ignorance is bliss. Actually I have a different reminder. A large German Shepherd who nudges me regularly if I fail to take her for her twice daily long walks in the Parks....

AiringMyLaundry said...

I have a Fitbit too. It yells at me sometimes. Via the screen. I try to hit 10000 steps, but some days I don't. Oops.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I have the Jawbone UP band and wear if often. I'm always surprised at the amount of steps I take without really trying and a bit disappointed with the amount of steps I register when I DO try. But it's good to keep an eye on things and it reminds me to move.
Good luck with yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails