Monday, November 3, 2014

Casting spells and eating candy

At Halloween we've taken to leaving the lights off and not buying candy. We do, however, enjoy the holiday through the grandkids.

The girl who loves pink and princesses and rainbows and unicorns went totally in the other direction, dressing as the evil Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter stories. Abby converted Vi's black flower-girl dress into a fabulous take on the movie costume worn by Helena Bonham Carter. Eric made an appropriately crooked wand, and Vi added just the right sense of drama, casting spells at every opportunity. (She went as the red dragon Smaug for two years, so this was not too surprising.)

In the movies, Bellatrix has on her arm a "dark mark" that identifies her as a follower of He Who Shall Not Be Named. We knew Vi's arms would need to be covered for warmth, so I drew the dark mark in silver glitter glue on the black trick-or-treat bag I made for her. Just before I finished it, Vi said she hoped the skull wouldn't frighten little children, and she wondered about changing the skull to a heart. I told her I thought the snake was the scariest part, and we decided to stick with the original. But I gotta love her combination of scary wizardry and real-life concern.

Augie planned his Ninja outfit months ago, and he was eager to assemble it so we helped. It begins with black sweat pants and hoodie he can wear any day, plus a balaklava (winter head covering) that he could close down so only his eyes showed. At a second-hand shop we found soft black "Ninja shoes" ideal for moving stealthily. Eric made him a long sword and Grandma Anita made a scabbard. Augie's new best friend dressed as Pokemon--a bright contrast to the all-in-black Augie and Vi.

When the kids finished trick-or-treating, they handed out candy at their house, literally jumping with delight. And since they turn over most of their collected candy to the Switch Witch, who in turn gives them a toy, they were more than willing to share a handful of Butterfingers and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Grandma.

I used to buy bags of "fun-size" candy and we'd eat a lot of it before the big night even arrived. Peter stopped eating candy many months ago, and I've mostly cut back to one dark-chocolate truffle a day. But I did splurge just before Halloween with a "trick-or-treat" malt from Snuffy's, a St. Paul 50s-style hamburger and ice cream shop. This malt had Snickers, Butterfingers, and Reese's Pieces mixed in! I ate about half, then took the rest home, stashed it in the freezer. and made it last two more days. So yes, I still celebrate Halloween. If only I could cast a spell and make sugar a nutritious thing.



13 comments:

DJan said...

I would love that malt, if I ever gave myself permission to have such a thing. Love the costumes! They are perfect. :-)

Ms Sparrow said...

Sounds like you had a great Halloween! When it comes to malts,I prefer to eat rather than drink my ice cream!

Grandmother Mary said...

The costumes are terrific! What fun to be someone very different for a night. I love Vi's concern for the young kids. What does she call herself?

stephen Hayes said...

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the holiday. We bought candy this year I didn't like so I was able to resist eating any.

Jeanie said...

It is fun to see what they choose to be for Halloween. This year my grandkids were everything from a heart to some unspecified sort of monster. We did hand out candy but turned the lights off when those at the door were taller than me and talking on cell phones.

J said...

If you are successful with your spell and sugar becomes a nutritious thing, you'll share with the rest of us grandmas, won't you?
The best part of Halloween for me too is seeing the grandkids enjoy it so much. Awful weather for us, but they still went out and it didn't seem to bother them!

Jeanie said...

That malt looks to die for! Oh, fabulous!

And I love seeing the kids in their costumes -- I'm impressed that Augie has been planning so long.

It snowed here on Halloween -- you?

troutbirder said...

Neat costumes! We always dish out those bit size candy bars but as our neighborhood gets older with fewer children I find myself eating more and more "LEFTOVERS."

Unknown said...

I love the costumes -- especially the trick or treat bag you made! As for candy, it continues to be my downfall!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Vi was very dramatic!! Love her hair!!
We missed Halloween here but took our candy to the neighbors. We just returned from our adventure and one of our favorite stops was at Lark Toys! So glad you blogged about it! Thanks! :)

Marie Loerzel said...

We don't buy candy either, but mostly because our driveway is too long and steep for kids to come up. And after years of eating said candy that we bought "just in case" some brave soul made it to our front door, forcing us to eat the candy ourselves, we stopped. And your grandkids look adorable!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Love the costumes. And that malt looks fantastic. I haven't had one in years.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails