Friday, February 17, 2012

Poetic wisdom

For Abby's birthday last week, I invited the kids to make cards. They were on it immediately. ViMae drew a picture of Dorothy in the tornado, while Augie decided to compose a poem. It went something like this:

I love my Mom, she's fun and great,
Nobody knows the things we can debate,
But soon I'll teach them,
And then we'll have no trouble on our date.

He sang it for us a couple of times, always pausing a few beats on the short line to keep his poem perfectly rhythmic. He was very proud of it, and for a time he ran around calling himself the world's most famous poet. I know that his mom loved his work.

Yesterday Peter and I took the kids out for lunch. Augie asked for the lemon slice that had come with Peter's fish. When he was younger, he'd eat a whole slice, peel and all. This time he just tasted it carefully and then asked for a sip of lemonade. Whereupon he declared brightly:

Lemons are sour,
Sugar is sweet.
Mix them together,
You've got a tasty treat.

I'm going to encourage him to keep rhyming, as he calls it. If he develops the habit now, it could serve him well as a means of expression, whether it's heartfelt poetry, song-writing, or simple verses just for fun.

16 comments:

Marie Loerzel said...

Wow...fishy lemonade!

Rubye Jack said...

The new and upcoming Marky Mark.

Ms Sparrow said...

He sounds like a clever kid and lots of fun to be around.

DJan said...

What a smart kid! And I have always loved to make rhymes; my brain does it without me even trying. I'm out of the habit now, though. :-)

Red said...

Some people are naturally poetic. Robert Service though would not call himself a poet. He called himself a versifier.

Sally Wessely said...

I am impressed. You are doing such wonderful things with those grandchildren. You truly are enriching their lives for a lifetime.

Jeanie said...

I can imagine how thrilled their mom was with the cards, and especially that poem. It is great that you are helping them find their talents in so many areas....and fun for you.

Chantel said...

I've read that rhyming and word play make you smarter... :)

gayle said...

Bryson use to like lemons when he was younger.

You are an awesome Grandma!

Jeanie said...

What a terrific song-poem! I love it! Sounds like such a warm family!

Unknown said...

What a fun way to encourage creativity with writing! And it is a great skill to have I might add.

Cheers!
Julie
Julie Magers Soulen Photography

Indigo Roth said...

Hi Nancy! It doesn't matter if it rhymes or not. A fascination with words is always a boon in life. Indigo

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Sounds like a smart kiddo to me- using that fun part of the brain!

Kitty Moore said...

That's a pretty awesome talent he has!

grammy said...

I like to catch up here because you talk about your Grands as much as I do (o:
That is so cool that he can rhyme that well... he is one smart cookie.

Jenny said...

That's creative. I'm keeping my 4 year old grandson tomorrow night. My daughter said, "Mom, do something with him I can hang on the wall. My frames are waiting.!" I'm thinking collages. Isn't this what grandparents are supposed to do? xo Jenny

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails